Sometimes we need to perform a usual task for a SAP Basis administrator as a client copy. This is basically copy a part or an entire client of our SAP system following the request from the Business.
We have to be sure the profile needed as during the process of the copy we have to determine which profile we will have to copy. For the creation of a new client or copy, we have to choose between different profiles as you can see in the following image:
Other thing to take into account is the source client in case we have different clients configured in our SAP system.
Once we have clear the previous step, it is time to check the space in our database in order to know if we need to request more storage or resize the tablespace involved in this task (PSAPSR3) to avoid any interruption during the copy. It is not a problem at all, as we can resize or add more space during the copy if we do a closely monitoring of the process. In case the copy cancel or stopped due to a space problem, we can stop and restart the process from the point it stops.
Let’s think that we have already checked the space at database level and everything is OK so we can start with the client copy itself.
In case we need to create a new client for the copy, we have to make some steps before. If it is not the case, we can go directly to the point 6:
1. Go to SALE transaction Basic Settings Logical Systems define logical system and define the new logical system name:
2. Go to SCC4 and create the new client Table View Display -> Change New Entries and fill all the fields as follow:
3. Access to the new client with Superuser SAP* (changing from 1 to 0 the parameter login/no_automatic_user_sapstar in the DEFAULT.PFL at OS level) and deactivate database archives (in case it is activated) and monitoring in order to avoid any alert during the process.
4. As we can copy the client 020 to 030 with the profile SAP_ALL, we will need to create the RFCs and users needed during the process of the copy:
5. Go to transaction FINB_TR_DEST:
At this point we can start with the client copy process (or client refresh if the client already exists). We need to access to the client where the copy will be executed. For that we need a user with SAP_ALL role. In our case, as we still have the user SAP* activated, we can use it.
6. Go to SCCL transaction and fill the fields as follows:
In our case the source client is the 020 and the target the 030. Regarding the profile, we need everything; this is why we have selected the SAP_ALL profile. In case your needs is other select the correct one from the list.
We can choose the number of parallel processes the system will use during the copy. As a rule, we can use the double of the processes than the system CPUs. For that we have to click in the button .
We can click now in start immediately, if we want to run the processes with dialog processes, or in Schedule as Background Job in case we want to use the batch ones. In our case, we prefer to run it in background.
We can now select immediately or not if we can schedule to start the copy at other time. After that, click in Schedule job to see a resume of all the steps chosen.
If everything is OK, click in the continue button and the client copy will start immediately as we have select this option. The logs for this client copy can be monitoring in the transaction SCC3.
Once the client copy is finished OK, we can proceed with the deactivation of the Superuser SAP* at OS level and activate again the database archives and monitoring.
Now the new client can be released to the Business to start to work on it.